This cauliflower gnocchi and chicken sausage bake is a quick and easy weeknight dinner that comes together all in one pan. Perfect for the whole family or as a dinner for two with enough leftovers for lunch the next day!
I think I should come clean and admit this now: I am obsessed with Trader Joe’s.
They have some fantastic products and prices. Not to mention, the people that work there are always a pleasure to interact with.
One of my all time favorite products at Trader Joe’s is the cauliflower gnocchi. I love the short ingredient list, the nutrition, the taste and the versatility.
One of my favorite ways to prepare cauliflower gnocchi is to throw them together with a protein, a vegetable and sauce in a pan, top with cheese and then bake it off!
These cauliflower gnocchi bakes are a staple winter recipe in my home. There are a ton of variations you can create with different proteins, veggies and sauces that it is hard to get bored.
Today I am sharing this chicken sausage, asparagus and sun dried tomato version. I highly recommend trying out this recipe but then also getting creative with the ingredients to switch things up.
Cauliflower gnocchi: I used Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi. However, I know other brands are now starting to come out with their own cauliflower gnocchi, or you can use regular gnocchi.
Chicken sausage: I used sun dried tomato and basil chicken sausage, but you can use plain or other flavor, such as roasted garlic.
Garlic and onion: to flavor the sauce.
Tomato paste and canned tomatoes: together they create a simple sauce.
Sun dried tomatoes: I like to finely chop the sun dried tomatoes so they don’t become too overpowering.
Asparagus: asparagus adds some nutrients, color, a nice crunch, and compliments the sun dried tomato flavors in this dish.
Burrata: burrata is a soft and creamy cheese, similar to fresh mozzarella. It can be found in plastic tubs next to the fresh mozzarella in the grocery store.
Spices: salt, pepper and Italian seasoning blend.
To start out, you want to get your cauliflower gnocchi crispy using your preferred cooking method. Here are my 3 favorite methods:
Air fryer: 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes, stopping to shake the basket a few times.
Oven: 425 degrees for 15-18 minutes.
Stovetop: Over medium heat for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
For each method, I spray the cauliflower gnocchi with olive oil spray to help crisp them up.
While the gnocchi are cooking, brown the chicken sausage in a large oven safe skillet. For this recipe, I used Trader Joe’s raw sun dried tomato and basil chicken sausage.
Remove sausage from the casing and brown it in the skillet over medium heat, using a wooden spoon to crumble the sausage as it cooks. Once browned, remove the sausage from the pan.
In the same pan, make a simple sauce. Combine the diced onion and minced garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add tomato paste and cook an additional minute.
Add crushed tomatoes and seasoning and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for five minutes.
Next add the sun dried tomatoes and asparagus. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken sausage back to the pan with the cauliflower gnocchi.
Mix everything together well then top with burrata cheese segments. Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes, or until everything is bubbly and cheese is melted and golden.
Cauliflower Gnocchi: If you do not have access to or do not like Trader Joe’s cauliflower gnocchi, traditional gnocchi would also be delicious!
Chicken sausage: you can sub the raw chicken sausage for precooked chicken sausage. Roasted garlic chicken sausage would also be a delicious flavor for this recipe.
Sauce: you can use your favorite jarred sauce in place of making your own for a super quick recipe.
Asparagus: feel free to substitute your favorite vegetable, such as broccoli, zucchini or spinach.
Burrata: sub fresh mozzarella or shredded mozzarella for the burrata.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment/rating below. I’d love to hear your feedback! Also, don’t forget to take a picture of your creation and tag me on Instagram @thechowdown!
Cauliflower Gnocchi and Chicken Sausage Bake
- 1 1/2 bags Trader Joe's Cauliflower Gnocchi
- 3 Sun Dried Tomato and Basil Chicken Sausages raw, casings removed
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1 cup asparagus cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 balls burrata quartered
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425. Cook cauliflower gnoochi using preferred cooking method (options above).
- In a large oven safe skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken sausage, cook and crumble with wooden spoon until brown, approximately 5 minutes. Remove sausage from skillet.
- In the same skillet, add onion and garlic and cook 3-4 minutes, or until fragrant and translucent. Add tomato paste and cook another minute. Add can of crushed tomatoes and season with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add sun dried tomatoes and asparagus. Cook another 4-5 minutes. Add browned chicken sausaage along with cooked cauliflower gnocchi. Mix so everything is coated in sauce.
- Top with burrata segments. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until bubbly and cheese is melted and golden.