This ground chicken stir fry is a fast, easy and delicious dish perfect for weeknight dinners for the whole family or meal prep. Pair with your favorite starch and veg for a well balanced and satisfying meal.
This post contains affiliate links
Are you in need of a new dinner idea to mix things up without a whole lot of extra effort? I promise this ground chicken stir fry will be your new go-to!
This stir fry recipe is pretty much as easy as it gets! Everything cooks in one pan and requires minimal ingredients, many of which are pantry staples.
This Asian inspired ground chicken recipe includes lean ground chicken, bell pepper and zucchini. Everything is coated in a simple soy ginger sauce that’s a little sweet and a little spicy.
Serve this healthy ground chicken stir fry with your favorite starch and veg for the best well rounded meal.
Best of all, this recipe is ready in less than 15 minutes, which makes it perfect for busy weeknights, fast lunches and meal prep.
Ground chicken: ground chicken is usually sold 95% lean/5% fat, which is the perfect ratio for this recipe. I don’t recommend anything leaner or the meat may become dry and chewy.
Red bell pepper: I love the color, taste and slight crunch red bell pepper adds to this stir fry.
Zucchini: like the pepper, the zucchini adds some extra color, flavor and nutrients to this recipe.
Soy sauce: soy sauce is the base for the sauce. Use reduced sodium soy sauce or one of the substitutes listed below, if possible.
Hoisin: hoisin adds tons of umami flavor and a slight sweetness.
Ginger: I love the bright zesty flavor fresh ginger adds to this stir fry.
Sambal Oelek: for a bit of spice. The amount I’ve listed in the recipe is for a mild stir fry; adjust based on your spice preference.
Corn starch: This helps thicken the sauce once it is added to the pan with the ground chicken.
Scallions: for garnish and a pop of color.
Sesame seeds: for garnish. Pro tip: toast them in a dry pan over medium heat for a few minutes until they are golden with a toasty aroma.
To a small bowl, add corn starch, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger and sambal oelek. Whisk until everything is combined and the corn starch is dissolved.
Heat two teaspoons of avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add red bell pepper and zucchini and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
Add ground chicken and cook, while breaking it up with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, until chicken is browned through.
Add sauce and toss meat and veggies in sauce. Cook until the sauce thickens around the meat, about 1-2 minutes.
Serve with your favorite sides and garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.
What to Serve with Ground Chicken Stir Fry
There are many delicious side dishes, including starches, vegetables and more that pair nicely with this ground chicken stir fry:
- White or brown rice
- Fried rice
- Rice noodles, soba noodles or udon noodles
- Steamed or roasted broccoli
- Sautéed green beans
- Pan charred baby bok choy
- Baby corn
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Bean Sprouts
- Or a combination of these in a simple vegetable stir fry
- Wonton soup
- Hot and sour soup
- Miso soup
- Egg rolls or spring rolls
Ground chicken: feel free to use one pound of ground turkey, ground beef or ground bison in place of ground chicken.
Soy sauce: for gluten free, you can use tamari or coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
Hoisin: you can use an equal amount teriyaki sauce in place of hoisin. Another substitution option that will add a bit more sweetness is would be an equal amount of honey.
Ginger: if you prefer, you can use one tablespoon of ginger paste instead of fresh grated ginger.
Sambal Oelek: sriracha will add a similar type of heat as sambal oelek. Adjust this according to your spice preference.
Corn starch: you can use an equal amount of tapioca starch in place of corn starch.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Ground Turkey Taco Skillet
- Creamy Coconut Lime Shrimp (Fast and Easy)
- Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Shrimp Skewers
- Fresh Ahi Tuna Cakes
- Honey Sriracha Shrimp Bowls
If you make this Ground Chicken Stir Fry, be sure to leave a comment below and rate this recipe! If you snap a pic, be sure to tag me on Instagram @thechowdown! I love seeing your creations!
Ground Chicken Stir Fry
- 1 lb ground chicken 95% lean
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp sambal oelek
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 2 scallions sliced
- sesame seeds
- To a small bowl, add corn starch, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger and sambal oelek. Whisk until everything is combined and the corn starch is dissolved.
- Heat two teaspoons of avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add red bell pepper and zucchini and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add ground chicken and cook, while breaking it up with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, until chicken is browned through.
- Add sauce and toss meat and veggies in sauce. Cook until the sauce thickens around the meat, about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite sides and garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.