As soon as the weather gets warm, I crave all the summer foods. What about you?
These spicy shrimp tacos with mango avocado salsa are the perfect way to welcome summer. They are simple but bright and fresh and bursting with so much flavor. They provide all the tropical vibes, with the sweet, fruity salsa balancing out the spicy kick from the shrimp.
I promise these are SO GOOD. My boyfriend and I ate them in five minutes flat. No exaggerating. So I think you need to make these. In fact, I think you need to make these for this Memorial Day weekend. Picture a beautiful, sunny day, hanging out by the pool, strawberry margarita in hand, and these delicious tacos. Yup. Sounds like a perfect day to me.
So start with the salsa. Combine the diced tomato, mango chunks, avocado chunks, minced onion, jalapeño, lime juice, cilantro and salt in a large bowl and toss well.
You can definitely make the salsa ahead of time. In fact, I recommend it. This will allow all the juices to release from the fruit and flavors to meld. And this will reduce your time in the kitchen later on. Just store the salsa in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
For the shrimp, just toss them in the spices and a drizzle of oil. Cook them over a high heat in a heavy bottomed pan for a few minutes on each side, until they are slightly blackened.
I recommend heating up your tortillas, either wrap them up in a damp paper towel and microwave them or, even better, heat over the flame of your stove, if you have a gas range.
Now all that is left to do is assemble. Lay down your shrimp in your warmed tortilla and top with mango salsa.
I served my tacos with a side of mango crema, which is a spin on the delicious avocado crema I made with my air fried chicken chimichangas. This is completely optional, but all you have to do is blend together mango, yogurt, lime juice, cilantro and salt. Drizzle over your tacos or have on the side to dip. Yum!
- Salsa: If you want to cut down on prep time, combine 1 1/2 cups prepared pico de Gallo with mango chunks, avocado chunks, splash of lime juice and extra cilantro.
- Spice: Omit jalapeño for mild salsa and omit cayenne for a mild heat on the shrimp.
- Tortillas: Corn or flour tortillas work. We used a half corn, half flour tortilla.
Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Mango Avocado Salsa
- 1 1/2 lbs large shrimp peeled and devained
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Mango Avocado Salsa
- 2 mangos cubed
- 1 cup tomatoes deseeded, diced
- 1 avocado cubed
- 1/2 jalapeno deseeded, minced
- 1/3 cup red onion minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Mango crema
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mango
- 2 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- To make the salsa, combine mango, avocado, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapenos, lime juice and salt in a bowl. Toss well.
- Toss shrimp with olive oil, chili powder, paprika, cayenne and salt. Heat a little bit of oil in a heavy bottomed skillet over high heat. Add shrimp and cook 2 minutes on one side. Flip and cook an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To make the crema, combine yogurt, mango, cilantro, lime juice and salt in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- To assemble, warm tortillas, add shrimp and top with salsa and crema.