These air fryer garlic parmesan wings are perfectly juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside, and an easy game day appetizer everyone will love.
This post contains affiliate links
Whether you love football season or you’re just there for the food like me, you are going to love these air fryer garlic parmesan wings. They’re crispy, buttery, cheesy and oh so delicious.
I love using my air fryer and finding new and fun recipes to make in it. This garlic parmesan chicken wing recipe is the perfect one to try out this fall.
This garlic parmesan air fryer wing recipe requires minimal ingredients and is really easy to make. You just season your wings, air fry them while you combine your garlic parmesan sauce, coat the wings in the sauce and finish them off in the air fryer so they are extra crispy.
I love to make garlic parmesan wings in the air fryer when I’m watching football, hosting watch parties or just having a pizza night at home. Of course don’t forget to serve these chicken wings with ranch or another favorite dipping sauce for the ultimate party appetizer.
Chicken wings: you can use fresh or frozen, whatever you can find in your store. I had a hard time finding fresh, so I used frozen and they were located with other speciality chicken items adjacent to the meat section in my local grocery store (sometimes located in the freezer section).
Garlic: we use lots of fresh garlic in this recipe. It’s added with the butter and parmesan to the wings towards the end of cooking so it doesn’t burn.
Parmesan cheese: I like to use a finely grated kind so it adheres to the chicken wings better.
Butter: for a rich buttery flavor, I like to toss my wings in butter versus oil.
Spices: garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
Baking powder: baking powder helps get these chicken wings super crispy!
Air fryer: this is the air fryer I love and use almost everyday. It has a large flat basket, perfect for making more chicken wings at once.
Two mixing bowls: one bowl to toss the chicken wings in the dry rub and one to toss the chicken wings in the garlic parm mixture.
Preheat air fryer to 400°F for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, pat chicken wings dry and place in a mixing bowl.
Add garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper and baking powder and toss to coat wings evenly in dry rub.
Place chicken wings on air fryer basket with at least 1/2 inch of space in between each wing. Air fry chicken wings at 400°F for 20 minutes.
While chicken wings are cooking, combine melted butter, minced garlic and parmesan cheese together in a small mixing bowl.
Take the chicken wings out of the air fryer and place in a second bowl. Add butter mixture and toss to coat wings evenly.
Return chicken wings to air fryer basket and air fry for an additional 3-5 minutes. Ensure the chicken wings have reached an internal temperature of 165°F before removing from the air fryer basket and serving.
- Preheat your air fryer to ensure your chicken wings cook evenly.
- Baking powder helps get the chicken wings super crispy, so don’t skip this ingredient!
- The easiest way to toss the chicken wings in the dry rub and butter mixture is to use your hands, so put some gloves on and don’t be afraid to get a little messy.
- Line your air fryer basket with parchment or aluminum for easier cleaning.
- Depending on your air fryer, you will more than likely have to cook your chicken wings in batches. Air fry the flats in one batch together and the drumsticks together in the other for more even cooking.
What to serve with air fryer garlic parmesan wings?
Why do you air fry the wings after they’re tossed in the garlic parmesan butter?
Air frying the chicken wings for a few minutes after adding the butter mixture allows the garlic to cook and for the chicken wings to re-crisp after adding the sauce.
Alternatively, you can cook the wings all the way, and then toss them in the garlic parmesan butter mixture right before serving. Ensure the chicken wings have come to an internal temperature of 165°F before tossing in the butter mixture.
How do I store garlic parmesan wings?
Store garlic parmesan wings in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, air fry chicken wings at 350°F for 5-6 minutes, or until warmed through.
Chicken wings: instead of chicken wings, you can use boneless wings, drumsticks or diced chicken breast. Cooking times will vary.
Butter: Ghee is a great substitute because it has a high smoke point and have less of a risk burning while cooking.
Parmesan: I sometimes like to do half parmesan and half pecorino romano cheese for a bit of a different flavor.
More Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
- Tuscan Stuffed Chicken
- Air Fryer Caprese Chicken
- Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken
- Sheet Pan Maple Mustard Chicken
If you make this Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Wings, be sure to leave a comment below and rate this recipe! If you snap a pic, be sure to tag me on Instagram @thechowdown! I love seeing your creations!
Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Wings
- 2.5 lbs chicken wings drums and flats separated
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 5 tbsp butter melted
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, pat chicken wings dry and place in a mixing bowl. Add garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper and baking powder and toss to coat wings evenly in dry rub.
- Place chicken wings on air fryer basket with at least 1/2 inch of space in between each wing. Air fry chicken wings at 400°F for 20 minutes.
- While chicken wings are cooking, combine melted butter, minced garlic and parmesan cheese together in a small mixing bowl.
- Take the chicken wings out of the air fryer and place in a second bowl. Add butter mixture and toss to coat wings evenly.
- Return chicken wings to air fryer basket and air fry for an additional 3-5 minutes. Ensure the chicken wings have reached an internal temperature of 165°F before removing from the air fryer basket and serving.