Boneless skinless chicken breasts are marinated in a simple cilantro lime marinade and grilled to perfection in a snap, making it a great recipe for any night of the week.
This post contains affiliate links
File this cilantro lime grilled chicken recipe under your go-to easy summer grilling recipes. Seriously, anyone can make this delicious chicken that is bursting with fresh and zesty flavor.
This cilantro lime grilled chicken recipe contains just 10 ingredients, most of which are pantry staples. The marinade takes just a few minutes to throw together and you only need to marinate the chicken for 20 minutes (more if you want to though).
I guarantee with this simple marinade, you will get juicy, mouthwatering chicken every single time. Kids and adults alike will love this this recipe.
This cilantro lime chicken is great for meal prep as it can be served with a variety of sides for dinner or thrown into salads, bowls and tacos for quick and easy lunches.
Chicken: I use 3 large or 4 small chicken breasts for this recipe, but chicken thighs also work.
Lime: both the juice and zest will from the lime will be used for maximum flavor.
Cilantro: cilantro has such a bright and vibrant flavor that compliments lime so nicely, so we’ll be using a lot of fresh cilantro in this recipe.
Garlic: fresh garlic is preferred, but you can also use garlic powder if you are in a pinch.
Olive oil: use a high quality olive oil for this recipe.
Seasoning: chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
1. Add all marinade ingredients to a marinating dish or resealable gallon bag and mix well. Add chicken breasts and marinate at least 20 minutes, or up to 2 hours.
2. Heat grill over medium heat. Add chicken breasts to the back portion of the grill. Grill chicken for 7-8 minutes on each side, depending on thickness, or until chicken cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.
Tip: brush extra marinade onto chicken within the first few minutes of grilling.
What to Serve with Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken
This recipe is definitely best served during the summer time, so I love to pair this with summery salads and appetizers such as:
- Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad
- Southwest Pasta Salad
- Summer Shrimp and Pesto Orzo Salad
- Grilled Peach and Burrata Salad
- Cilantro Lime Crema
How can I cook my chicken if a don’t have a grill?
Bake: marinate chicken as instructed and preheat oven to 425°F. Bake chicken for 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Grill press: preheat grill press to 350°F. Grill chicken for 8-12 minutes, depending on thickness, or until the internal temperature reaches165°F.
Should I marinate my chicken at room temperature, or in the fridge?
You can marinate your chicken at room temperature for up to one hour. Any longer than that, then you should store your chicken in the fridge.
How do I store leftover cilantro lime chicken?
Allow chicken to cool to room temperature, then store chicken in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
What can I do with leftover cilantro lime chicken?
I love cutting up the chicken and adding to salads, tacos, burritos or burrito bowls for lunches or easy dinners throughout the week.
Chicken: chicken thighs (skin on, bone in or boneless skinless) or drumsticks also work in this recipe, just adjust cooking times accordingly to ensure you reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
Chili powder: chipotle chili powder or Trader Joe’s Chili Lime seasoning are two great substitutes for chili powder.
Garlic: fresh is always best, but if you are in a pinch, use 1 tsp garlic powder.
Cilantro: omitting the cilantro will certainly change the flavor profile of this recipe, but I know not everyone likes it, and an equal amount of fresh parsley can be used instead.
More Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
- Air Fryer Caprese Chicken
- French Onion Chicken and Orzo
- Tuscan Stuffed Chicken
- Sheet Pan Maple Mustard Chicken
- Southwest Chicken Bowls
If you make this Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken, be sure to leave a comment below and rate this recipe! If you snap a pic, be sure to tag me on Instagram @thechowdown! I love seeing your creations!
Cilantro Lime Grilled Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Add all marinade ingredients to a marinating dish or resealable gallon bag and mix well. Add chicken breasts and marinate at least 20 minutes, or up to 2 hours
- Heat grill over medium heat. Add chicken breasts to the back portion of the grill. Grill chicken for 7-8 minutes on each side, depending on thickness, or until chicken cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.