I promise these crispy air fryer smashed potatoes will be your new favorite way to eat potatoes. They’re creamy on the inside, extra crispy on the outside and very easy to make!
This post contains affiliate links.
Crispy Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
Where are all my potato lovers at?? Potatoes are like eggs in that there are an infinite number of ways to prepare and cook potatoes. All are delicious, but these crispy air fried smashed potatoes take the prize for BEST potatoes ever.
Now that I’ve perfected this recipe, I don’t think I can make potatoes any other way. They are the perfect balance between creamy and extra crispy!
This recipe requires only 7 ingredients and are easy to prepare. They do, however, take some time to prepare. To speed things up, you can boil the potatoes ahead of time.
The best thing about these potatoes is you can serve them with any meal. Check out the FAQ section for some ideas!
Mini potatoes: any type of potato works great for this recipe. I used mini red potatoes.
Ghee: ghee (or clarified butter) has a high smoke point and adds the perfect buttery flavor.
Garlic powder & onion powder: we use dried seasoning instead of fresh as fresh can tend to burn in the oven.
Rosemary: rosemary pairs so nicely with potatoes.
Flaky sea salt: an absolute must! So delicious on these crispy potatoes.
Parmesan cheese: a sprinkling of parmesan cheese after air frying is optional but adds a nice finishing touch.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Gently add potatoes and boil for 20 minutes.
Drain water and allow potatoes to cool for 5 minutes. Use a towel to dry the potatoes well.
Transfer potatoes to a cutting board and space them out. Smash potatoes with the bottom of a drinking glass.
In a small ramekin, combine melted ghee, garlic powder, onion powder and rosemary. Brush smashed potatoes with ghee.
Place smashed potatoes on air fryer basket, ensuring none are touching to ensure they get extra crispy.
Air fry smashed potatoes at 400°F for 10 minutes.
Remove potatoes from air fryer and sprinkle each with flaky sea salt and grated parmesan cheese. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
How to serve air fryer Smashed Potatoes
Breakfast: serve with your favorite breakfast fix-ins instead of hash browns or home fries.
Lunch: serve with a sandwich or wrap instead of french fries or potato chips.
Appetizer/snack: these would make a great party appetizer with a variety of dipping sauces. Did someone say potato bar??
Dinner: serve as your starch along side a protein, such as chicken or pork, and a vegetable of choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of potato is best?
You can use any kind of potato; however, I highly recommend mini potatoes. The smaller the potato, the crispier they will get.
You can find red or yellow mini potatoes. I find red potatoes have a bit more flavor, but yellow potatoes offer a creamy interior texture. You really can’t go wrong!
Why use ghee?
Ghee has a high smoke point, so it won’t burn in the air fryer but it will still offer a rich, buttery flavor.
If you do not have ghee on hand, you can make some by melting butter in a small saucepan on the stovetop over medium low heat.
Once the butter has melted, skim off the milky foam (milk solids) from the top of the butter until only the golden butterfat remains.
Other ways to smash the potatoes?
You can use a potato masher, the bottom of a measuring cup, the back of a large spoon or a sheet pan to smash the potatoes.
What types of sauces can I serve with air fryer smashed potatoes?
Chimichurri or similar herby sauce
Green Goddess dressing
- Ghee: in a pinch you can use butter, or vegan butter to keep this recipe vegan!
- Garlic Powder: I get it, fresh garlic is better! However, it can burn when used in this recipe. An alternative if you want to use fresh garlic: smash garlic cloves and add it to your ghee before melting it. Once melted, allow to sit for 5 minutes to infuse the ghee. Discard smashed garlic before adding remaining spices and brushing on to potatoes.
- Rosemary: try fresh rosemary or your favorite herb instead.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Maple Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Chowder
- Burger Bowls with Special Sauce
- Copycat Quinoa Cowboy Veggie Burgers
If you make these crispy air fryer smashed potatoes, be sure to leave a comment below and rate this recipe! If you snap a pic, be sure to tag me on Instagram @thechowdown! I love seeing your creations!
Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- 16 mini potatoes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 4 tbsp ghee melted
- 1-2 tsp flaky sea salt
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Generously salt water and add potatoes. Boil potatoes for 20 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Drain water and allow potatoes to cool for 5 minutes. Dry potatoes well with a towel. Place potatoes on a cutting board. Smash potatoes with the bottom of a glass.
- Combine melted ghee, onion powder, garlic powder and rosemary in a small ramekin. Brush seasoned ghee onto each potato.
- Place smashed potatoes on air fryer basket. Air fry smashed potatoes at 400°F for 10 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from air fryer. Sprinkle potatoes with flaky sea salt and parmesan cheese and enjoy!
- When checking for doneness of boiled potatoes, ensure they easily pierce with a fork. Do not over cook as they will fall apart when smashed.
- Dry the potatoes well before smashing to help ensure they get crispy in the oven.