I promise these crispy smashed potatoes will be your new favorite way to eat potatoes. They’re creamy on the inside, extra crispy on the outside and very easy to make!
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Where are all my potato lovers at?? Potatoes are like eggs in that there are an infinite number of ways to prepare and cook potatoes. All are delicious, but these crispy smashed potatoes take the prize for BEST potatoes ever.
Now that I’ve perfected this recipe, I don’t think I can make potatoes any other way. They are the perfect balance between creamy and extra crispy!
This recipe requires only 6 ingredients and are easy to prepare. They do, however, take some time to prepare. To speed things up, you can boil the potatoes ahead of time.
The best thing about these potatoes is you can serve them with any meal. Check out the FAQ section for some ideas!
Mini potatoes: any type of potato works great for this recipe. I used mini red potatoes.
Ghee: ghee (or clarified butter) has a high smoke point and adds the perfect buttery flavor.
Garlic powder & onion powder: we use dried seasoning instead of fresh as fresh can tend to burn in the oven.
Rosemary: rosemary pairs so nicely with potatoes.
Flaky sea salt: an absolute must! So delicious on these crispy potatoes.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Gently add potatoes and boil for 20 minutes.
Drain water and allow potatoes to cool for 5 minutes. Use a towel to dry the potatoes well.
Preheat oven to 425°F. Transfer potatoes to a large parchment lined baking sheet. Spread the potatoes out. Smash potatoes with the bottom of a drinking glass.
In a small ramekin, combine melted ghee, garlic powder, onion powder and rosemary. Brush smashed potatoes with ghee.
Roast potatoes for 30 minutes. Switch oven to broil and broil for 2-4 minutes. Watch carefully as each oven is differently and potatoes can burn quickly!
Once potatoes are out of the oven. Sprinkle each with flaky sea salt. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of potato is best?
You can use any kind of potato; however, I highly recommend mini potatoes. The smaller the potato, the crispier they will get.
You can find red or yellow mini potatoes. I find red potatoes have a bit more flavor, but yellow potatoes offer a creamy interior texture. You really can’t go wrong!
Ghee has a high smoke point, so it won’t burn in the oven but it will still offer a rich, buttery flavor.
If you do not have ghee on hand, you can make some by melting butter in a small saucepan on the stovetop over medium low heat. Once the butter has melted, skim off the milky foam (milk solids) from the top of the butter until only the golden butterfat remains.
Other ways to smash the potatoes?
You can use a potato masher, the bottom of a measuring cup, the back of a large spoon or a second sheet pan to smash the potatoes.
How do you serve these crispy smashed potatoes?
Breakfast: serve with your favorite breakfast fix-ins instead of hash browns or home fries.
Lunch: serve with a sandwich or wrap instead of french fries or potato chips.
Appetizer/snack: these would make a great party appetizer with a variety of dipping sauces. Did someone say potato bar??
Dinner: serve as your starch along side a protein, such as chicken or pork, and vegetable of choice.
What types of sauces can I serve with crispy smashed potatoes?
Chimichurri or similar herby sauce
Green Goddess dressing
- Ghee: in a pinch you can use butter, or vegan butter to keep this recipe vegan!
- Garlic Powder: I get it, fresh garlic is better! However, it can burn when used in this recipe. An alternative if you want to use fresh garlic: smash garlic cloves and add it to your ghee before melting it. Once melted, allow to sit for 5 minutes to infuse the ghee. Discard smashed garlic before adding remaining spices and brushing on to potatoes.
- Rosemary: try fresh rosemary or your favorite herb instead.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Maple Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Chowder
- Burger Bowls with Special Sauce
- Copycat Quinoa Cowboy Veggie Burgers
If you make these crispy smashed potatoes, be sure to leave a comment below and rate this recipe! If you snap a pic, be sure to tag me on Instagram @thechowdown! I love seeing your creations!
Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- 16 mini potatoes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 4 tbsp ghee melted
- 1-2 tsp flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and boil for 20 minutes.
- Drain water and allow potatoes to cool for 5 minutes. Dry potatoes well with a towel. Place potatoes on a parchment lined baking sheet. Smash potatoes with the bottom of a glass.
- Combine melted ghee, onion powder, garlic powder and rosemary in a small ramekin. Brush seasoned ghee onto each potato.
- Bake potatoes for 30 minutes. Switch oven to broil and broil for 2-4 minutes, until potatoes are golden & crispy (watch carefully as each broiler is different).
- Sprinkle potatoes with flaky sea salt and enjoy!
- When checking for doneness of boiled potatoes, ensure they easily pierce with a fork. Do not over cook as they will fall apart when smashed.
- Dry the potatoes well before smashing to help ensure they get crispy in the oven.
- Watch the potatoes carefully while they are on broil, they can start to burn quickly!