This healthy lemon loaf with a lemon glaze is a light and refreshing spring and summertime dessert. It is gluten free, dairy free and nut free, but your guests won’t be able to tell!
This post contains affiliate links
As soon as the temperatures get above 75°F, I start to crave all things lemon. I love the freshness and zest it gives to entrees, desserts and snacks like my Lemon Blueberry Energy Bites.
This healthy lemon loaf is mixed all in one bowl, making it an easy dessert option with quick clean up. It has a perfectly moist texture and is bursting with lemon flavor.
The tangy lemon glaze is made with just two ingredients and adds just the right amount of sweetness to complete this loaf recipe.
This healthy lemon loaf is gluten free, dairy free, nut free and low FODMAP, which means everyone can enjoy this delicious dessert.
Lemon juice and zest: using fresh lemon juice and zest results in the best lemon flavor. The fresher the lemons, the stronger the flavor! I recommend using Meyer lemons, if you can find them.
Oat flour: I love the flavor, texture and structure oat flour provides versus other gluten free flour options, plus it is affordable! I used store bought, but you can make your own. Just be sure the flour is very fine for the best texture!
Olive oil: olive oil provides great flavor and makes this lemon loaf super moist without using butter.
What You’ll Need
Small and large mixing bowl
Measuring cups and spoons
Loaf pan (I love silicone pans for easy removal)
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line and grease a loaf pan.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, vanilla, olive oil, lemon juice and zest and whisk well until combined.
To the wet ingredients, add the oat flour, baking powder and salt. Mix just until combined.
Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake at 350°F (177°C) for 45-50 minutes. Allow lemon loaf to cool completely.
While lemon loaf is cooling, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice together in a small bowl. Whisk together until smooth.
Remove lemon loaf from pan and pour over lemon glaze. Spread into an even layer.
Mix it up
Blueberry Lemon Loaf: coat one pint of fresh blueberries in 1 tablespoon of oat flour (to prevent the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the loaf pan) and fold into the batter before baking.
Lemon Poppyseed Loaf: mix in 2 tablespoons of poppyseeds to the batter before baking.
Alternative toppings: strawberries and whipped cream (or coconut cream)
How do I know when my lemon loaf is done baking?
The loaf will pull away from the sides of the loaf pan. A toothpick stuck into the middle of the loaf should come out clean. Since all ovens are different, I recommend setting the timer 40 minutes and check the loaf every few minutes to prevent over baking the loaf.
How long does lemon loaf last?
This lemon loaf can be stored in an air tight container at room temperature for one day, in the refrigerator for one week and in the freezer for 2-3 months. Before freezing, I recommend wrapping the lemon loaf in plastic wrap or aluminum foil before placing in an air tight container to prevent freezer burn.
Can you freeze lemon loaf?
Yes, wrap the lemon loaf in plastic wrap or aluminum foil then store in an air tight container or bag. This lemon loaf can be stored in the freezer for 2-3 months.
How do you properly measure flour?
Use the spoon and level method to measure the flour. Use a spoon to scoop the flour into the measuring cup and use the flat side of a bread knife to level the top of the measuring cup. This prevents the flour from packing into the measuring cup and resulting in too much flour. Too much flour will make the lemon loaf dry.
Can I make this recipe into muffins?
Yes, make the batter and divide amongst a greased muffin tin. Bake muffins at 350°F for 30-35 minutes. Check muffins after 30 minutes to prevent over baking. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Flour: I’ve tried this recipe with equal parts oat flour and Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten free flour and came out well. I am sure using all 1 to 1 gluten free flour would work as well; however, I have not tried it myself.
- Sugar: try 1 cup of coconut sugar in place of the sugar in this recipe. To reduce overall sugar in this recipe, omit the lemon glaze.
- Oil: vegetable oil or refined coconut oil can be used in this recipe; however, it will change the flavor slightly.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Vegan Mini Blueberry Cheesecakes
- S’Mores Cookie Dough Bars
- Mixed Berry Crumble Bars
- No Bake Brookie Bars
- No Bake Carrot Cake Bars
If you make this healthy lemon loaf, be sure to leave a comment below and rate this recipe! If you snap a pic, be sure to tag me on Instagram @thechowdown! I love seeing your creations!
Healthy Lemon Loaf
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 2 1/2 cups oat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line and grease a loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, vanilla, olive oil, lemon juice and zest and whisk well until combined.
- To the wet ingredients, add the oat flour, baking powder and salt. Mix just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake at 350°F (177°C) for 45-50 minutes. Allow lemon loaf to cool completely.
- While lemon loaf is cooling, combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice together in a small bowl. Whisk together until smooth.
- Remove lemon loaf from pan and pour over lemon glaze. Spread into an even layer.
- Use the scoop and level method to properly measure the flour.
- Do not over mix the batter.
- Since every oven is different, set a timer to 40 minutes and check lemon loaf for doneness. Check every 3-5 minutes until loaf is done.
- Allow lemon loaf to cool completely before adding glaze. Otherwise, the glaze will melt off the loaf.
This is such a delicious recipe. It combines the sour of the lemon with the sweet sugar. Really refreshing and great for summer!
I could eat this lemon loaf everyday! The citrus flavors are perfect for a summertime treat.
Excellent recipe! This Healthy Lemon Loaf just screams summertime! What a great loaf to make during this season!
This is such an amazing bread recipe! Everyone at my house really loved it!