These veggie egg white bites are a healthy, grab-and-go breakfast option that will save you time and money.
This post contains affiliate links
Start the new year off on the right foot with this veggie egg white bite recipe. They’re high in protein and loaded with good for you veggies like bell pepper, spinach and tomatoes.
This recipe is a copycat for the Veggies Made Great Spinach Egg White Frittatas that can be found at Wal Mart, Costco and BJs. I love these little egg bites and thought I was saving money by buying these over the Starbucks egg white bites, but then I realized I can make them myself!
This recipe contains all the same whole food ingredients as the Veggies Made Great ones, and leaves out all of the funky ingredients. Not to mention, they are easy to make and an excellent meal prep option.
I love these veggie egg white bites for breakfast on the go, but I also like to enjoy them when I’m working from home and don’t have time to make a full breakfast. They are so good warmed up in the air fry (oven, air fryer and microwave heating instructions below).
Looking for other healthy egg based breakfast recipes? Try my flavorful Southwest Frittata or my super easy Enchilada Egg Skillet!
Egg whites: I used 100% egg whites from a carton for convenience, but you can also use fresh egg whites.
Bell pepper: I used yellow bell pepper to add more color, but use any color bell pepper you like.
Tomato: I recommend removing the seeds and pulp from the tomato to avoid adding to much moisture to the egg bites.
Onion: the onion should be finely minced so you don’t get any overpowering chunks in your egg bites.
Spinach: I recommend using fresh spinach over frozen spinach as frozen will add too much moisture to the egg bites.
Mozzarella: Use freshly grated whole milk mozzarella cheese for the best flavor and texture.
Salt, black pepper and garlic powder
Cutting board & knife
Measuring cups & spoons
Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the bell pepper, tomato, onion, spinach, mozzarella, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.
Pour in egg whites and mix everything to combine.
Use a ladle to pour the mixture into the muffin tin. Fill each cup 3/4 full.
Bake egg white bites for 25-30 minutes, or until the centers are no longer liquid.
Allow egg white bites to cool for 10 minutes before removing them from the muffin tin.
- Finely dice the vegetables so you get a little bit of everything in each egg bite.
- Avoid using frozen veggies over fresh as frozen vegetables will add too much moisture to the egg bites.
- The egg bites will puff up a lot while baking, but they will shrink again as they cool.
- Although I used a silicon muffin tin, I do not recommend it. The silicon can impart a slight flavor on the egg bites.
- To avoid rubbery egg white bites, do not over bake.
What else can I put in veggie egg white bites?
Feel free to omit any of the above vegetables, or add any that you like. Zucchini, squash and mushrooms all work great, just ensure they are finely chopped.
Can I use whole eggs instead of egg whites?
Feel free to use whole eggs in place of egg whites, or a mix of both. Replace 1/4 cup egg whites for one whole egg.
How to store egg white bites.
Allow egg white bites to cool completely, then store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
What is the best way to reheat veggie egg white bites?
There are a few ways you can reheat your veggie white bites:
Oven: bake at 350°F for 10 minutes for refrigerated egg bites, 15 minutes for frozen, or until warmed through.
Air fryer: air fry at 400°F for 5 minutes for refrigerated egg bites, 8 minutes for frozen.
Microwave: wrap egg white bites in a paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds for refrigerated, 45 seconds for frozen.
Egg whites: I use liquid egg white in this recipe, but if you want to use fresh egg whites, you’ll need about 20 eggs to get 2 1/2 cups of egg whites.
Mozzarella cheese: other shredded cheeses that would work well in this recipe include gruyere, cheddar and Monterey jack.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Healthy Apple Pie Smoothie
- Oat Flour Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Baked Oatmeal
- Carrot Cake French Toast Bake
If you make this Veggie Egg White Bites, be sure to leave a comment below and rate this recipe! If you snap a pic, be sure to tag me on Instagram @thechowdown! I love seeing your creations!
Veggie Egg White Bites
- 2 1/2 cups liquid egg whites
- 1/2 bell pepper deseeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup tomatoes pulp removed and finely diced
- 1/2 small yellow onion minced
- 1/3 cup fresh spinach finely chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the bell pepper, tomato, onion, spinach, mozzarella, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Pour in egg whites and mix everything to combine.
- Use a ladle to pour the mixture into the muffin tin. Fill each 3/4 full.
- Bake egg white bites at 350°F for 25-30 minutes, or until the centers are no longer liquid.
- Allow egg white bites to cool for 10 minutes before removing them from the muffin tin.
Leave a Reply