This refreshing blackberry sage margarita is easy to make and requires just 6 ingredients. It’s the perfect cocktail to enjoy with friends and family all summer long.
This post contains affiliate links
This blackberry sage margarita is my new favorite cocktail. It is refreshing, fruity, not too sweet and has a subtle earthy herb flavor from the sage.
I love this cocktail because it is extremely easy to make at home and requires just 6 ingredients. The recipe is for a single drink, but it is easy to double, triple or even quadruple the recipe to make for friends.
This blackberry sage margarita is inspired by the blackberry sage lemonade from The Melting Pot. I used to work there in my early 20’s and would make dozen’s of those cocktails everyday during the summertime. It was delicious and refreshing and one of my personal favorites.
However, I have a deep love for margaritas and thought the flavors of blackberry and sage would work perfectly in a margarita.
Plus, margaritas are synonymous with summertime, so it is the perfect cocktail to make while laying by the pool, at a summer BBQ, or on taco Tuesday!
Blackberries: blackberries are in season through the months of June, July and August, so you should be able to find fresh ones at the grocery store or maybe even your local farmer’s market or farm stand.
However, if you cannot find fresh blackberries, frozen would work as well. Just allow them to defrost completely before muddling.
Fresh sage: you can find fresh sage in the grocery store near other fresh herbs such as basil and thyme. Sage leaves are soft and have a fine fuzzy appearance. The flavor is savory and earthy, with hints of pepper and lemon.
You will not be drinking any raw sage. The sage is muddled with the blackberries to release it’s flavors and aromas. The drink will be strained into the glass so you will not get any bits of leaves in your cocktail.
Tequila: you can’t have a margarita without tequila! Use your favorite quality blanco (silver) tequila. Blanco tequila is clear.
Triple Sec: triple sec is an orange flavored liqueur. The flavor compliments the flavors of the tequila, lemon juice and blackberries. Cointreau is a popular brand of triple sec you can use; however, you can use any brand of triple sec.
Lemon juice: lemon juice adds fresh tartness that contrasts the sweetness of the blackberries and honey.
Honey: honey will add a nice amount of natural sweetness to this cocktail without making it overly sweet or heavy.
In a cocktail shaker, combine blackberries and sage. Muddle until blackberries have broken down.
Add tequila, triple sec, lemon juice and honey. Add ice, cover cocktail shaker and shake for 10-15 seconds.
Strain margarita into a cocktail glass filled with ice. Garnish with a blackberry and sage leaf.
What to Eat with Blackberry Sage Margaritas
So many foods go well with margaritas, especially Mexican food and foods with citrus flavors or that compliment citrus flavors such as fish, shellfish and chicken.
- Spicy Fish Taco Bowls
- Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Mango Avocado Salsa
- Air Fried Chicken Chimichangas
- Chips and guacamole/salsa
- Try lime juice instead of lemon juice or a combination of both.
- Use agave syrup instead of honey for a vegan cocktail.
- Top with seltzer or prosecco after straining cocktail into glass to add some bubbles.
- Rim your glass with lime juice and salt or sugar for extra flair.
- Place your glasses in the freezer 30 minutes before making your cocktail to keep your drink colder longer.
- Use fresh lemon juice vs. bottled lemon juice for the best flavor.
- Muddle the blackberries well to get the most juice out of them.
- Use a cocktail strainer with large holes to prevent clogging.
- Taste and adjust honey and/or tequila amount, if needed, based on your taste preferences.
More Recipes You’ll Love
As always, if you make this recipe please let me know by commenting and rating below. If you take a picture, tag me on Instagram @thechowdown. I love seeing your recreations!
Blackberry Sage Margarita
- 1/3 cup blackberries approx. 8-10 blackberries
- 6 sage leaves
- 2 oz tequila
- 1 oz triple sec
- 1 1/2 oz lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- In a cocktail shaker, combine blackberries and sage. Muddle until blackberries have broken down.
- Add tequila, triple sec, lemon juice and honey. Add ice, cover cocktail shaker and shake for 10-15 seconds.
- Strain margarita into a cocktail glass filled with ice. Garnish with a blackberry and sage leaf.