Broccoli cheddar chicken orzo is a delicious one pan meal that is ready in 30 minutes. Juicy chunks of chicken, fresh broccoli and tender orzo are all simmered in a cheesy sauce.
This post contains affiliate links
If you love broccoli cheddar soup then you will love this broccoli cheddar chicken orzo. It’s simple and familiar, yet so flavorful and comforting.
Seasoned bite sized pieces of chicken, tender broccoli and orzo pasta are all simmered together in chicken broth. Cheddar cheese is melted right in to create a creamy and cheesy sauce all without the use of cream.
All you need to make this broccoli cheddar chicken orzo is one pan, 30 minutes and 12 simple ingredients. Because of this, this recipe is a great weeknight meal the whole family will love.
I made a similar chicken and orzo recipe inspired by another favorite soup, be sure to try out my French Onion Chicken and Orzo as well.
Chicken: you can use chicken breast or boneless, skinless thighs, cut into bite sized pieces.
Orzo: orzo is a rice shaped pasta and is found in the pasta section of the grocery store.
Broccoli: I recommend using fresh broccoli vs frozen broccoli for this recipe.
Cheddar cheese: for best results, grate your own cheese instead of using pre-shredded cheese.
Chicken broth: I like to use chicken bone broth for extra flavor and protein.
Garlic: for additional flavor.
Shallot: I prefer to use shallots over onions for this recipe because they have a more delicate flavor.
Butter: butter adds just a little bit of richness and creaminess.
Seasoning: Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper
Large sauté pan (this is the type of pan with tall straight sides)
Cutting board and knife
Measuring cups and spoons
1. Heat one tablespoon avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and season with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
2. Add chicken and brown on each side for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and shallot and cook for one minute. Add orzo and toast for an additional minute.
4. Pour in chicken broth and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the orzo from sticking.
5. Add broccoli and cook until orzo is Al dente about 3 more minutes. Add butter and cheese and stir until both are melted into orzo.
- Have all your ingredients prepped and measured out before you begin cooking.
- The chicken does not need to be cooked completely through in step 2. The chicken will continue to cook with the orzo.
- The orzo will stick to the bottom of the pan if left alone. Ensure you are stirring it every 30 seconds or so.
- If your orzo is done cooking but your broccoli cheddar chicken orzo is still soupy, allow everything to sit off the heat for 3-4 minutes. It will thicken as it sits.
- For extra cheesy goodness, top everything with extra shredded cheese, cover the pan with lid and allow cheese to melt over low heat.
Can I freeze broccoli cheddar chicken orzo?
Yes, this recipe freezes great. Allow everything to cool, then store in one large or four individual air tight containers. Freeze for up to 3 months.
How do I reheat broccoli cheddar chicken orzo?
Allow frozen broccoli cheddar chicken orzo to thaw in the fridge overnight. When ready to reheat, follow one of the following methods:
Oven: Place thawed broccoli cheddar chicken orzo into an oven safe dish. Cover with aluminum foil and place in a 400°F oven for 15-20 minutes, or until heated through.
Microwave: Place a portion of broccoli cheddar chicken orzo on a microwave safe plate. Cover with wax paper and microwave at 50% power for 2 minutes, or until warmed through (each microwave is different, so cooking times may vary).
Chicken: feel free to use turkey or if vegetarian, omit or replace with vegetarian protein such as tofu or white beans.
Orzo: if you can’t find orzo, you can use rice instead. Use 1 cup rice and the same amount of broth and cheese.
Chicken broth: vegetable broth also works.
Shallot: half a diced yellow onion may be used in place of shallot.
More Easy Skillet Meals You’ll Love
- Ground Turkey and Sweet Potato Skillet
- Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Pasta
- Ground Chicken Stir Fry
- Creamy Coconut Lime Shrimp
- Easy Turkey Taco Skillet
If you make this Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Orzo, be sure to leave a comment below and rate this recipe! If you snap a pic, be sure to tag me on Instagram @thechowdown! I love seeing your creations!
Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Orzo
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 cup orzo
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups small broccoli florets approximately 1 small broccoli head
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat one tablespoon avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season chicken with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add chicken to the pan and brown on each side for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and shallot and cook for one minute. Add orzo and toast for an additional minute.
- Pour in chicken broth and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the orzo from sticking.
- Add broccoli and cook until orzo is Al dente about 3 more minutes. Add butter and cheese and stir until both are melted into orzo.
Made this the other night and it turned out great. I didn’t have shallots so I used onion instead and added extra cheese on top. Kids loved it too, which is a huge plus!
Extra cheese on top sounds like a great move! 🙂