Transport yourself to paradise with this tropical passion fruit cocktail that can be made with either rum, tequila, vodka or gin.
This post contains affiliate links
l’m so ready to jump into summer with this delicious tropical passion fruit cocktail. Anyone who loves fruity, tropical cocktails will love this simple 5 ingredient cocktail.
With the perfect balance of fruitiness, sweetness and tartness, this cocktail is a refreshing crowd pleaser. Other than the tropical flavors, this cocktail is also visually stunning and will make your guests think you are a master mixologist.
This easy passion fruit cocktail is extremely versatile in that you can use any clear liquor of your choice. My favorites in this cocktail are rum, which give off incredible island vibes, or vodka.
Enjoy this cocktail by the pool or on the patio, over ice or frozen, and taste the tropics wherever you are.
What is Passion Fruit?
Passion fruit is a tropical fruit native to Brazil, Paraguay and Argentina, but is now grown in tropical climates all over the world. It has a tough outer rind that is a deep purple color on the outside, and has a juicy seed filled center.
Passion fruit has a tropical flavor unlike any other fruit, but is closest in flavor to citrus and kiwi. The seeds are crunchy and the pulp around the seeds has a jelly like consistency.
Passion fruit is high in fiber, vitamin C and A and rich in antioxidants.
Passion fruit is commonly used in drinks and desserts in South America. It is available year round in larger grocery stores, specialty food stores, Whole Foods and sometimes local food co-ops.
How to Pick Ripe Passion Fruit?
Passion fruit are ripe when the taught skin becomes slightly wrinkly. The seeds in the center will become juicier and sweeter as well.
To eat a passion fruit, use a sharp knife to cut it in half. Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh and add to drinks, fruit salad, desserts and more.
Passion fruit juice: I used Goya passion fruit cocktail. You can find this at most regular grocery stores, Walmart and on Amazon.
Liquor of choice: vodka, tequila, rum and gin are all delicious in this cocktail.
Lemon juice: lemon juice adds a bit of tartness and balances out the sweetness.
Honey: honey compliments the flavors of the passion fruit and lemon juice.
Seltzer: top off your cocktail with a splash of seltzer for some effervescence.
- Passion fruit pulp
- Lemon slices
- Passion fruit half
- Edible flowers
- Mint leaves
In a cocktail shaker, add lemon juice, honey, liquor of choice and passion fruit juice.
Add ice, cover the cocktail shaker and shake for 10-15 seconds. Strain liquid into a cocktail glass filled with ice.
Top with seltzer or club soda. Garnish with desired toppings, such as passion fruit pulp and lemon slices.
- Try lime juice instead of lemon juice or a combination of both.
- Add mango or pineapple juice for extra tropical vibes.
- Use a lemon seltzer to add extra flavor.
- Top off the cocktail with prosecco instead of seltzer for the added bubbles.
- Place your glasses in the freezer 30 minutes before making your cocktail to keep your drink colder for longer.
- For best flavor, use ripe passion fruit.
- Use fresh lemon juice vs. bottled lemon juice for the freshest flavor.
- Taste and adjust honey and/or alcohol amount, if needed, based on your taste preferences.
More Drink Recipes You’ll Love
- Blackberry Sage Margarita
- White Peach Frosé
- Autumn Apple Cider Margaritas
- Spiked Peppermint White Hot Chocolate
- Apple Pie Smoothie
As always, if you make this Tropical Passion Fruit Cocktail, please let me know by commenting and rating below. If you take a picture, tag me on Instagram @thechowdown. I love seeing your recreations!
Tropical Passion Fruit Cocktail
- 2 oz vodka, rum, tequila or gin
- 1 oz fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 oz passion fruit juice
- 2 oz seltzer or club soda
- In a cocktail shaker or mason jar, combine liquor of choice, lemon juice, honey and passion fruit juice.
- Add ice, cover cocktail shaker or mason jar with lid and shake for 20 seconds.
- Strain liquid into cocktail glass filled with ice. Top with seltzer.
- Optional: garnish with passion fruit pulp, lemon slices, passion fruit half and/or edible flowers.